Owner And Tenant Responsibilities

It is a fact that the landlord has much responsibility towards the tenant, but we must remember that he is not the only one who has responsibilities and obligations. Tenants do too!

As tenants, we must have our unit rented in a certain way, and this is what local and state laws dictate.

That is, the landlord has maintenance responsibilities, but if you deliberately caused the damage, then the burden falls on you.

What are my responsibilities as a tenant?

You are obligated to:

  • Keep your rental unit as clean and safe as the condition of the premises permits. 

  • Dispose of garbage, rubbish, and other waste in a clean and safe manner.

  • Keep plumbing fixtures as clean as their condition permits. 

  • Use electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, and other facilities and other systems, including elevators, properly. 

  • Fix things you break or damage.

  • Notify the landlord promptly of defective or dangerous conditions on the property.

What are my responsibilities as a Landlord?

You are obligated to:

  • Maintain a safe environment

  • Quiet Environment

  • Clean Environment

  • Respond to Repair Requests Promptly

  • Landlords Should Advise All Tenants to Purchase Renters Insurance

  • Properly Store tenants' security deposits


Know Your Code Requirements

JUNK, TRASH AND DEBRIS -- All junk, trash and debris must be removed from the property and disposed of properly. This includes auto parts, furniture, appliances, tires, plastics, cardboard, paper, building materials, tree trimmings and dead vegetation.   

INOPERATIVE MOTOR VEHICLES -- An inoperative vehicle is one which is not equipped with all parts required to legally operate on public streets or one that cannot be driven under its own power. These vehicles cannot be stored outside at a residence and must be removed from the property. 

OUTSIDE STORAGE -- Outside storage is prohibited. All storage must be contained or removed from the property. Any materials ordinarily not used outside may not be kept outside.   Examples: indoor furniture, appliances, auto parts, etc. You may have swing sets, patio furniture, barbeques, etc. outside.

VEGETATION -- Overgrown or dead vegetation must be removed. Grass and weeds over four (4) inches high must be cut and vegetation blocking a right-of-way must be trimmed so as not to cause a safety hazard.

PARKING -- Vehicles parked at a residence must be operable. Trailers, RVs, campers and boats belonging to the property owner may be parked on his or her property but cannot obstruct public right-of-ways, sidewalks, streets or alleys or any sight zone. Vehicles may be parked on a public street for up to 72 hours. They must be operable and have current plates and registration.

ILLEGAL STRUCTURES -- Houses, room additions or sheds over 200 square feet constructed without valid building permits are illegal, regardless of the age of the structures. Proper permits must be obtained and proper zoning setbacks must be met.

WALLS AND FENCES -- Building permits are required for residential perimeter walls over 24 inches high. An administrative deviation is required from Current Planning for walls over six (6) feet. Fences in rear yards without permanent foundations and not over four (4) feet high do not require permits.

TRASH CONTAINERS AND ENCLOSURES -- Trash enclosures are required for all but single family developments. They are to be constructed of masonry or concrete and have screened gates.   Trash containers are to be kept in the enclosure, except on trash pick up days.

CARPORTS AND SHADE STRUCTURES -- Carports and shade structures are addressed the same as a covered patio, the requirements of which are outlined in a Building Department handout. If you do not follow these guidelines, engineered plans are required. Zoning setbacks are required for any such structure.

COMMERCIAL EQUIPMENT AND VEHICLES -- Commercial equipment and commercial vehicles cannot be parked or kept in a residential area. Commercial equipment and vehicles must be kept a commercial location. This does not include, a single commercially licensed automobile.

GRAFFITI -- The majority of walls and fences in Clark County are private property. Our Graffiti Abatement program assists with the initial removal of graffiti vandalism from private residential properties. Permission from the property owner is required. Upon request Clark County will provide paint so property owners can cover subsequent graffiti vandalism. Business or commercial property owners are responsible for graffiti removal from commercial properties including apartments, townhomes, gated communities, power easements, utility boxes and mailboxes.

SWIMMING POOLS -- Swimming pools are permanently or temporarily installed body of water in excess of 18 inches deep. An access barrier must enclose the entire pool and must be at least 60 inches (5 feet) high. The pool enclosure must have a self-latching and self-closing gate inoperative from the outside. Pools must be drained to the public sewer through a permanently installed waste line or a hose connected to the sewer. Wastewater may not be discharged to a septic system or to the public right-of-way.

GARAGE OR YARD SALES -- Garage or yard sales are allowed for four (4) days per calendar year. Items for sale must be from your home. New items cannot be brought in for the sale.

BASKETBALL HOOPS -- Basketball hoops must be kept on your property and are not allowed in the right-of-way.

HOME OCCUPATION -- Home occupation is a commercial use conducted entirely within the residence and conducted by family members residing in the home. The use does not alter the exterior, or affect the residential character of the neighborhood. There are no employees or foot traffic allowed at the residence.

SIGNS -- Signs placed in the right-of-way are subject to immediate removal by the Public Response Office.   Other illegal signs are issued a Notice of Violation and given fifteen (15) days to come into compliance or to be removed.

SHEDS -- Sheds over 200 square feet require a building permit. All sheds must comply with zoning setbacks.

ACCESSORY STRUCTURES -- Accessory structures (i.e., guest houses) cannot contain a kitchen or cooking facilities.

POSTING --  Posting notices or other advertising on utility poles is prohibited.  

GRADING -- Grading plans must be filed with the Public Works Department and a grading permit must be obtained from the Building Department before beginning actual work on your property. Grading must be done according to the approved plan and generally the property must drain to the right-of-way. Under normal conditions drainage cannot cross another's property.  

SPECIAL USE PERMIT -- A Special Use Permit allows a special exception in a zoning district, to do something that would not normally be allowed. To be approved, this special use permit must be in the best interest of the general public and must not be detrimental to the surrounding area. 

WAIVER OF STANDARDS -- A waiver of standards is a request application to allow relief from the requirements of the code for a mitigating alternative standard. There is a non-refundable fee and no guarantee of approval.  

VARIANCE -- This is a request application to allow relief from the requirements of the code for mitigating allowable standards, but is only allowed if a waiver of standards is denied.  

ZONE CHANGE -- A zone change allows certain activities to be conducted on a particular property parcel that were not previously permitted. Approval typically hinges upon the impact the activity will have on the surrounding community. Activities might include commercial or business uses, specific building densities and land uses. 

Blog Home